I still remember when in 2004 two veterans of the trial, Pablo Calvo and José María Lusares, proposed me to go out in the Trial at the Bottom of the Sea. The Trial? I associated it with the retaila and the burning of the sea bream, and it is that the work was very forgotten ... in fact I did not remember seeing it, perhaps when I was a child ... So I said, why not? I like the theater, and also everything related to carnival has always attracted me ... the thing is that that year I started as Gobio and the trial caught me for its charm, atmosphere and the good times that I had ... Without a doubt, this is what I mentioned Judgment is a reality both in how it is lived from the inside (almost everyone wants to repeat it), and in how it is perceived from the outside by the people of Santoña, and in many cases ignorance even reigns among us ...
All these years as an actor, but above all, since in 2010 we assumed the direction of the representation from the Peña Los Rayitos, they have allowed me to become aware of the responsibility that we have at hand and the importance of the trial in the deep sea itself . But what is and what does the judgment at the bottom of the sea represent for Santoña? This is a question that undoubtedly has many answers:
* - History, since in itself it is a piece of the history of Santoña with its more than 25 years, and also, thanks to him, we also have a piece of our murguista history; since it is inspired by the work of the murga Los Parrandistas from 1934 and otherwise, most likely, the text would have been lost; Nor should we forget that throughout the text some passages of important events that have happened in our town are collected.
* - Love for the sea, the years go by and the text is not obsolete and is that its message of caring for our environment, and especially the sea that gives us so much and has given us, is present throughout the story.
* - Carnival, it has its origin in it and is one of the reasons why our carnival is different from the rest of the carnivals. Also do not forget that the sea bream is the symbol of carnival.
* - Showcase, it goes without saying that the recognition of a festival of national tourist interest, which is sometimes so blurred, is a showcase for the people and specifically for the festival. But, without a doubt, the work is worth it and the people who see it for the first time are surprised by the costumes, the history, the staging,… in short, the spectacle it represents.
* - Participation, because without the disinterested participation of so many people this could not be carried out, and I am not only talking about the people who have participated and participate directly in it, but also about the murgas with their coplillas, the Ronceros with their music, the town hall with its fundamental support, and in general the people with their accompaniment and their mourning costumes. Participation is undoubtedly the soul of Santoña.
For all this, I believe that the trial is something important for the people of Santoña, and that we have to take care of and promote, so the challenges that lie ahead both from the first line of management and from the rest of the people and entities that do it There are three possible: to maintain the illusion, the atmosphere and the improvement that has been taking place so far (without this, everything else cannot be achieved), to publicize and promote the trial beyond Santoña (it cannot be that in Cantabria talk about the trial and some do not even know that it exists) and finally to re-engage the people of Santoña in the trial without losing the essence of the author or everything in which it was inspired.
I hope to have you, reader, to help us achieve these challenges, we remain open to the contributions that you can make us.A big hug, and enjoy the Trial at the Bottom of the Sea.
Daniel San Emeterio Nava
Presidente de la Peña Los Rayitos